The Inuit Art Foundation is seeking applicants for a Managing Editor.
Application Deadline: August 19, 2019 at 5 PM
The Inuit Art Foundation is seeking a Managing Editor to join the Inuit Art Quarterly team who possesses exceptional writing and organizational skills and a deep interest in the IAQ’s content.
The Inuit Art Quarterly, in print since 1986, is the sole magazine dedicated to circumpolar Indigenous art. Published by the Inuit Art Foundation, the IAQ is an award-winning industry leader committed to nuanced, dynamic and multi-vocal writing on the contemporary and historical work of Inuit and other circumpolar Indigenous artists.
A key member of the editorial team, the Managing Editor will be responsible for text and content management across platforms. Some of your duties will include managing production timelines and deliverables of the print edition, commissioning and editing for online content, and coordinating public communications across various channels. The Managing Editor will work closely with the Editorial Director, as well as the entire editorial team to produce a smart, original and beautiful print publication.
The Managing Editor is able to manage tight deadlines, a stable of freelance writers and multiple overlapping tasks. It is essential that the candidate have previous editorial experience, possess a critical eye and have a strong ability to work collaboratively.
- Leading all aspects of the print production schedule for each issue in tandem with the Editorial Director, including finalizing all magazine pages and co-proofing final layouts;
- Editing all sections of the magazine in various stages of production, including overseeing substantive second-phase text editing, line editing and fact-checking of all magazine materials, in collaboration with the Editorial Director and other members of the editorial team;
- Corresponding with galleries and museums, printing houses and designers regarding fact checking, typesetting, file tracking and collateral delivery;
- Preparing, researching and writing text, signed and unsigned for print, IAQ online and the IAQ Profiles, and on occasion other collateral, including press releases, social media posts, artist biographies and promotional materials;
- Assigning stories to freelance writers and artists, and bring them through substantive edits for print and online;
- Liaising with the Copy Editor to manage and implement all text changes on manuscript files in Microsoft Word, and with the Copy Editor and Art Director to finalize and implement fact-checked, copy edited texts into magazine story layouts (Adobe InCopy); and
- Supporting the editorial team on image research and assemble contributor biographies, contracts and invoices for each issue.
- The ability and enthusiasm to move between print and online platforms, with proven experience in print media by having overseen the initiation, development, production and completion of a variety of print projects;
- Proven ability to meet deadlines, manage complex projects and timelines successfully, and having the ability to clearly communicate with a team of professional writers, editors, artists and designers while managing competing deadlines and priorities;
- Ability to write concise, accurate copy with tight deadlines, including having a firm grasp on copy editing and fact checking;
- Possession of outstanding editorial standards, integrity and judgement, as well as a keen eye for detail, copy consistency and storytelling;
- Passionate about working creatively with a diverse group of contributors from various experience levels and with a range of perspectives including in-house and freelance staff and interns
- Comfortable working within Apple and Google environments, with proficiency in Microsoft Office, Adobe Suite (particularly InDesign, InCopy and Photoshop), and adaptable to learning new skills and media as required; and
- Being a collaborative and supportive team member who will tangibly contribute in the reimagining of processes and systems.
Prior experience with magazine publishing and Inuit art will be considered a strong asset.
If you don’t possess all the skills listed above but are enthusiastic about the position, please don’t hesitate to apply. We are interested in diverse candidates with varied experiences, and not only in those who might fit the description above.
Status: Permanent, Full-Time
Salary: $47,000 annually + benefits package
Interested applicants should submit a letter of intent, resume and 1-2 page writing sample as a single pdf with the subject “Managing Editor” to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5PM on August 19, 2019. Your interest in this opportunity is appreciated; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.