The Inuit Art Foundation is seeking applicants for an Online Editor.
Application Deadline: August 6, 2019 at 5 PM
The Inuit Art Foundation is seeking an Online Editor for the Inuit Art Quarterly with exceptional writing and organizational skills. The Online Editor is a key member of the editorial team, responsible for text and content management across online platforms. Their duties include commissioning and editing content, writing for online and coordinating public communications across various channels. The Online Editor will work closely with the Editorial Director, as well as the entire editorial team to provide smart, entertaining and timely content that is both original and repurposed from the print brand.
The Online Editor is driven by the goal to increase reader engagement and drive traffic. The successful candidate for this position will be able to manage tight deadlines, a stable of freelance writers and multiple overlapping tasks. It is essential that the candidate have previous editorial experience, be tech savvy, possess a critical eye and have a strong ability to work independently.
Reporting to the Editorial Director, the primarily responsibilities of the Online Editor will include:
- Leading the IAQ’s online editorial strategy. This includes growing the IAQ’s online audience and brand recognition through engaging, original and trusted editorial content and ensuring the IAQ is the definitive resource for Inuit art online;
- Managing all aspects of the online production calendar in tandem with the Editorial Director and Managing Editor, including reporting on and analyzing content performance;
- Generating web exclusive editorial content; assigning stories to freelance writers, artists and other editorial staff, and bringing them through substantive edits for publication;
- Identifying and interviewing artists working in communities for inclusion across IAQ platforms (print, online and IAQ Profiles);
- Preparing, researching and writing text, signed and unsigned for IAQ online and the IAQ Profiles, and on occasion for the print magazine;
- Writing other collateral for the IAF as required;
A successful candidate’s qualifications will include:
- Having the ability and enthusiasm to move between platforms, with proven experience in online publishing. A strong understanding of Google Analytics and the ability to interpret site metrics are essential in this role;
- Having the proven ability to meet deadlines, manage complex projects and timelines successfully, and having the ability to clearly communicate with a team of professional writers, editors, artists and designers while managing competing deadlines and priorities;
- Ability to write concise, accurate copy for web with tight deadlines, including having a firm grasp on copy editing and fact checking;
- A strong understanding of current web trends (social media, content aggregation, etc.), including familiarity with SEO, and enthusiasm to experiment with new techniques, adjusting the IAQs online strategy to take best advantage of key learnings.
- Possessing outstanding editorial standards, integrity and judgement, as well as a keen eye for detail, copy consistency and storytelling;
- Being passionate about working creatively with a diverse group of contributors from various experience levels and with a range of perspectives including in-house and freelance staff and interns
- Being comfortable working within Apple and Google environments, with proficiency in Microsoft Office and an ability and enthusiasm to learn new skills and media as required. Working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop and Premier Pro) considered an asset; and
- Being a collaborative and supportive team member who will tangibly contribute in the reimagining of processes and systems.
Prior experience with online magazine publishing and Inuit art will be considered a strong asset.
If you don’t possess all the skills listed above but are enthusiastic about the position, please don’t hesitate to apply. We are interested in diverse candidates with varied experiences, and not only in those who might fit the description above.
Status: Permanent, Full-Time
Salary: $42,000 annually
Interested applicants should submit a letter of intent, resume and 1-2 page writing sample as a single pdf with the subject “Online Editor” to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5PM on August 6, 2019. Your interest in this opportunity is appreciated; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.