The Inuit Art Foundation is seeking applications for an Editorial Assistant.
Application Deadline: June 28, 2019 at 5 PM
The Inuit Art Foundation is seeking an Editorial Assistant for the Inuit Art Quarterly to be an integral part of our editorial team. An active member of the IAQ team, the Editorial Assistant will support content development across platforms with a focus on web. Reporting to the Editorial Director, this internship centres on the day-to-day operations of web publishing, with a focus on content creation and emphasizes proofing, editing, fact checking and writing.
The primary responsibilities of the Editorial Assistant will be:
- Preparing, researching and writing text for online;
- Writing artist profiles and conducting interviews for IAQ Profiles;
- Updating artists’ profiles on IAQ Profiles as needed;
- Image research and securing artist permissions;
- Corresponding with artists, galleries and museums regarding fact checking;
- Optimizing posts for SEO and, with the editorial team, analyzing website analytics; and
- Writing other digital content as required, including but not limited to social media posts, artist biographies, calendar entries and other materials.
A successful candidate’s qualifications will include:
- A background in journalism, art history, visual arts or related field;
- Previous experience in a media and/or cultural institution or non-profit;
- Exceptional attention to detail;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Ability to plan, organize and prioritize in order to meet deadlines;
- Proficiency with Apple environments, Google Suite, Microsoft
Office, Adobe Suite (particularly InDesign, InCopy and Photoshop), and enthusiasm to learn new skills and media as required;
This position is open to students currently enrolled in a post-secondary institution or graduates, within the past five years, of a post-secondary institution. It is also open to individuals interested in changing careers. The successful applicant must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
Contract Dates: 5 months
Hourly Wage: $17.00 per hour, 35 hours per week
Interested applicants should submit a letter of intent, resume and a 1-2 page writing sample with the subject “Editorial Assistant” to email@example.com by 5PM on June 28th, 2019. Your interest in this opportunity is appreciated; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. The Inuit Art Foundation is committed to diversity and encourages applicants from all backgrounds to apply.
About the Inuit Art Foundation and Inuit Art Quarterly
Established in 1987, the Inuit Art Foundation is a non-profit, Inuit led charitable organization providing support to Canada’s Inuit arts communities. The Inuit Art Quarterly is the sole magazine dedicated to Inuit and circumpolar Indigenous art. In addition to its role as the publication of record for Inuit artists, it is one of the few sustained platforms profiling Inuit voices to the broader public through published interviews, authored articles and through featured artistic works. The IAQ is an award-winning industry leader in the cultivation and promotion of Indigenous arts writers and is committed to nuanced, dynamic and multi-vocal writing on the contemporary and historical work of Inuit artists.