The Inuit Art Foundation is seeking applicants for a Managing Editor for the Inuit Art Quarterly to be an integral part of our editorial team.
The Managing Editor is a key member of the Inuit Art Quarterly‘s editorial team, responsible for text and content management across platforms. The Managing Editor’s duties including managing production timelines and deliverables of the print edition, commissioning and editing for online content, and coordinating public communications across various channels.
Reporting to the Editor, the primary responsibilities of the Managing Editor will include:
• Determining and overseeing all aspects of the print production schedule for each issue in tandem with the Editor, including finalizing all magazine pages and co-proofing final layouts;
• Corresponding with galleries and museums, printing houses and designers regarding fact checking, typesetting, file tracking and collateral delivery;
• Editing all sections of the magazine in various stages of production, including overseeing substantive second-phase text editing, line editing and fact-checking of all magazine materials, in collaboration with the Editor and other members of the editorial team;
• Preparing, researching and writing text, signed and undersigned for print and online;
• Assigning stories to freelance writers and artists, and bring them through substantive edits for print and online;
• Managing the creation of posts and updating content on the IAQ and IAF websites;
• Writing other collateral for the IAF as required, including press releases, social media posts, artist biographies and other promotional materials;
• Managing and track engagement for the IAF’s social media accounts;
• Liaising with the Copy Editor to manage and implement all text changes on manuscript files in Microsoft Word, and with the Copy Editor and Art Directors to finalize and implement fact-checked, copy edited texts into magazine story layouts (Adobe InCopy);
• Supporting the Assistant Editor on image research and assemble contributor biographies, contracts and invoices for each issue; and
• Monitoring editorial style and work with the Copy Editor to supervise and approve amendments to the IAQ style guide.
A successful candidate’s qualifications will include the following:
• Being connected and responsive to diverse art communities and having a concrete understanding of the discourses surrounding art and culture, both contemporary and historical;
• Having the ability and enthusiasm to move between print and online platforms, with proven experience in print media by having overseen the initiation, development, production and completion of a variety of print projects;
• Having the proven ability to meet deadlines, manage complex projects and timelines successfully, and having the ability to clearly communicate with a team of professional writers, editors, artists and designers while managing competing deadlines and priorities;
• Possessing outstanding editorial standards, integrity and judgement, as well as a keen eye for detail, copy consistency and storytelling;
• Being passionate about working creatively with a diverse group of contributors from various experience levels and with a range of perspectives, including in-house and freelance staff and interns;
• Being a collaborative and supportive team member, who isn’t afraid to contribute in reimagining processes and systems where required;
• Proficiency with Apple environments, WordPress, Google Suite, Microsoft Office, Adobe Suite (particularly InDesign, InCopy and Photoshopy), and being adaptable to learning new skills and media as required.
Prior experience with magazine publishing and Inuit art will be considered a strong asset.
Status: Permanent, Full-Time
Salary: $40,000 annually
Interested applicants should submit a letter of intent, resume and writing sample to email@example.com by 5PM on April 25, 2018. Your interest in this opportunity is appreciated; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Inuit Art Foundation is committed to diversity and encourages applications from all backgrounds to apply.