The Inuit Art Foundation is seeking applicants for a freelance Copy Editor.
Application Deadline: August 6, 2019 at 5 PM
The Inuit Art Foundation is seeking a freelance Copy Editor for the Inuit Art Quarterly with exceptional attention to detail and editorial nuance. Their duties include providing comprehensive copy-editing services for the approximately seventy-page Inuit Art Quarterly throughout the year. Published four times a year, the Inuit Art Quarterly is the sole magazine dedicated to Inuit and circumpolar Indigenous art. The Copy Editor will work closely with the Managing Editor, as well as the entire editorial team to ensure editorial consistency and accuracy in the magazine.
Reporting to the Managing Editor, the primarily responsibilities of the Copy Editor will include:
- Editing submitted articles for clarity, grammar and spelling. This may include fact-checking cited sources as well as researching and confirming spelling variations;
- Liaising with the IAQ editorial team on translated texts;
- Conforming to the IAQ style guide and amending the guide as required;
- Ensuring captions are consistent and accurate; and
- Resolving style and logic issues directly with the editors and/or authors where required.
A successful candidate’s qualifications will include:
- Proven track record of successful copy-editing experience;
- Proven ability to manage complex projects successfully;
- Excellent written English communication skills;
- Previous experience copy-editing translated text considered a strong asset;
- Ability to work independently and cooperatively and to juggle diverse responsibilities;
- Enthusiasm for working creatively with a diverse group of contributors from various experience levels and with a range of perspectives; and
- Proven ability to consistently meet deadlines.
Prior experience with magazine publishing as well as knowledge of contemporary art and Inuit art and/or culture will be considered a strong asset.
Rate: $1,200 per issue
Interested applicants should submit a letter of intent and resume as a single pdf with the subject “Copy Editor” to email@example.com by 5PM on August 6, 2019. Your interest in this opportunity is appreciated; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.