The Inuit Art Foundation is seeking applicants for a part-time Art Director.
Application Deadline: August 6, 2019 at 5 PM
The Inuit Art Foundation is seeking a part-time Art Director for the Inuit Art Quarterly with exceptional attention to detail and a proven acumen for design for arts and culture clients. The Art Director will oversee and design four print issues of the IAQ annually and all related collateral to ensure brand consistency across print and digital platforms. Published four times a year, the Inuit Art Quarterly is the sole magazine dedicated to Inuit and circumpolar Indigenous art. The Art Director will work closely with the Editorial Director and Managing Editor, as well as the entire editorial team, to ensure brand consistency and accuracy in the magazine.
Reporting to the Editorial Director, the primarily responsibilities of the Art Director will include:
- Design four print issues of the IAQ annually, as well as any collateral or special issues throughout the year, ensuring brand consistency
- With the Managing Editor, ensuring production schedules are maintained;
- Collaborating with editorial team on art for sections and brainstorming ideas and concepts;
- Liaising with the editorial team and any outside agencies involved in image production, colour correction or photography;
- Producing captivating in-house advertising for IAF programs where needed; and
- Ensuring that all design work showcases the artwork featured in the magazine in the best possible light.
A successful candidate’s qualifications will include:
- Proven track record of successful design experience, including prior experience with magazine publishing;
- Proficiency in InDesign, InCopy, Photoshop, Illustrator and the rest of the Adobe suite;
- Strong understanding of print design and print production;
- Proven ability to manage complex projects successfully;
- Excellent written English communication skills;
- Previous experience working with digital platforms;
- Ability to work independently and cooperatively and to juggle diverse responsibilities;
- Enthusiasm for working creatively with a diverse group of contributors from various experience levels and with a range of perspectives; and
- Proven ability to consistently meet deadlines.
Knowledge of contemporary art and Inuit art and/or culture will be considered a strong asset.
Rate: $40,000 annually (24 hours per week)
Interested applicants should submit a letter of intent, resume and samples of recent work or links to portfolio as a single pdf with the subject “Art Director” to email@example.com by 5PM on August 6, 2019. Your interest in this opportunity is appreciated; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.