Indigenous Visual Artist Materials
Supporting Ontario-based First Nations, Inuit and Métis artists working to create artwork
Funded by the Ontario Arts Council (OAC), the Indigenous Visual Artist Materials program supports Ontario-based First Nations, Inuit and Métis artists working in the visual arts, crafts or traditional/customary Indigenous art forms to create artwork. To support Inuit in accessing this funding, the Inuit Art Foundation is a recommender on the grant to assist with the distribution of funds.
Artists wishing to apply should submit through the OAC’s grant application system, Nova, to the Inuit Art Foundation (or another Indigenous arts organization who serves as an official program recommender), who then assess the merits of said application and submit grant recommendations to the OAC.
IAF Recommender Deadline
December 11, 2020
$500 or $1000
Grants of $500 or $1,000 are available to help cover the cost of the following expenses:
- materials and art supplies, such as wood, fabric, thread, stone, leather hides, sinew, beads, needles, photographic printing, inks, metals, paint, canvas, paper, pencils, etc.
- small tools for making the artwork or for harvesting or gathering materials, such as blades, carving tools, awls, scissors, etc.
- purchase of materials or tools required to run or participate in workshops
- delivery: cost of transporting or shipping materials and supplies
- travel costs for gathering natural materials
- Applicants must self-identify as First Nations, Métis or Inuit
- Applicants must be Ontario Residents
- Applicants must be individual artists or Elders; groups, collective and organizations are not eligible
- A grant awarded in this program year (September 2020 – March 2021) counts towards a recipient’s three-grant OAC limit for 2020
- You may submit one application to each recommender
- You may receive one Indigenous Visual Artists’ Materials grant in the 2020-21 program year
Complete and submit an application through Nova
You can preview the application questions in advance here
Please be sure to include:
- The name of the recommender you are applying to
- Images and video documentation of your work (8 images maximum)
- Résumé (optional)